A call committee has been established. Members that were approved by council were Dwayne Beyer, Emily Beyer, Wilfred Crenwelge, David Hartmann, Robert Menking, Doug Reitenga, and Margaret Solbrig. For more information, click here.
2023 Synod Assembly Report
Dates: April 22 and May 6, 2023
Zion Participants: Pastor Kay, Doug Reitenga, Nerissa Reitenga
This year’s Assembly had the Theme of Meanwhile/Mientras Tanto. There was a great deal of back and forth between English and Spanish. The theme was about Saul’s transformation to Paul (Acts 9, 1-19.)
We met on April 22, 2023, in Seguin, TX at Spirit of Joy Lutheran Church for the “in person” portion of the Assembly. The day was mostly a presentation by Dr Luis Torres-Hostos. He talked about his work in the Rio Grande Valley promoting health equity and social justice. The day ended with a worship service with Communion. This session was held in two physical places (Seguin and Corpus Christi) and over Zoom.
We met via Zoom on May 6, 2023, for the Business Meeting portion of the Assembly. Highlights include –
- Outreach from the Synod for 2023 seems to be centered on immigration and LGBTQ+ issues.
- Church closures viewed in the light of renewal for other projects
- Four congregations have closed their doors in the past year in this Synod.
- Campus Ministries are suffering due to a lack of funding.
- Cross Trails Ministry is doing well. We (Nerissa and I) were unable to vote on the Cross Trails portion of the meeting because of the devices Nerissa and I were using to vote.
- Proposed By-Law changes were approved.
- Proposed 2024-2025 budget was passed.
- Bristol Raymond was approved by acclimation as the Synod Council Lay Youth for a two year period.
- The next Synod Assembly will be at the Omni Hotel in Corpus Christi, TX, on May 3-5, 2024.
If anyone has any questions please don’t hesitate to call me. ~Doug Reitenga
Download current issue of the Chimes, our monthly newsletter.